Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Emergency Twitter Lists Tutorial

(Disclaimer: I have an iPhone and a Mac. So this is a bit Applecentric, but I have endeavored to get some Android info too. I also use the Twitter web site in my Chrome browser. If you use a different app or browser, I may not be able to help. Lastly, if you're completely unfamiliar with Twitter or I'm just confusing, please leave your questions in the comments, or tweet me @ risurocket, and I'll do my best to clarify things.) 


I've had a request to do a tutorial on how to use Lists in Twitter. I'm a HUGE advocate of Twitter lists. The home feed is too overwhelming and when I want to meet and interact with people, the home feed tends to be a running series of retweets and ads, instead. I highly recommend Adblock if you use Twitter on your desktop.

Lists completely saved Twitter for me. They are customizable, and you can make them public or private. If public, other users are able to subscribe to them.

Step #1:
Finding Your Lists:

Go to your Twitter profile page on your desktop. (Mac)



There you see LISTS and the number of them you have. Click on that. Or you can click on your profile avatar in the upper right (Mac browser only, as far as I know). 



You can also find the lists on your iPhone or Android phone. 

The iPhone Twitter App gives you the lists by clicking on the little gear next to your tweet and message menu selections. 

iPhone: 



Android: (The drop down comes from tapping three little dots.)



Next Step:
Step #2: Creating Your Lists 

Once you've found your lists, you'll find a page very similar (I hope) to this on your desktop. I can't vouch for Android/PCs here, but it can't be that much different (I hope).




You see on the right (your right), that there is a create a list button. Click that. You are now free to create a list. Once you've clicked on that, you'll get this (or something similar) on your desktop. 


On your phone you'll get this or something similar: (Sorry no Android shot.)



The plus sign in the upper right will allow you to make more Lists on your iPhone. (note: Twitter limits created lists to 20. You can subscribe to as many as you want, I think.) As you can see, all my lists have little locks by them. They are private. You're getting a rare glimpse of my Lists' page. ;)

This is what it asks you to do on the iPhone when you hit the plus sign: 


Next Step: 
Step #3: Adding your Tweeps (those you follow or if you just want to read tweets.) 

This is one of the nice things about Lists. You DON'T need to follow the person to read their tweets. You can put them in a list and you get most of their tweets in one nice organized feed. 

For example, you can put a bunch of promos or news bulletins in a list and not have to follow them. You'll still get all the tweets, but you can stick to following real live people. Take advantage of this now. Not sure Twitter will continue to allow the "not-following" option, but here's hoping.

Once you have your list, you'll want to populate it. So, choose a person you are following or who's following you, or someone/thing you're interested in. Click on their profile, and find the gear on a desktop,  iPhone or other indicator, (three dots?) on an Android and you'll see "Add to List". 

Desktop: 




iPhone: (I'm going go out on a limb and say that an Android would look similar to the only Android shot I have...)


Once you've got the Add/remove from lists selected you get your personal list menu up again as a checklist and you select which list you want and hit done. 

And that's that. You can have all your favorites sorted out of the Home Feed Frenzy and never miss a tweet again! You'll meet awesome people and connect all that much easier. 

You can find your lists from any part of your Twitter screens on the desktop by clicking your profile picture which will bring down a drop down menu. On an iPhone, you need to be on your profile page to have access to your gear settings. Android may give you the option from anywhere if that menu bar is always showing for each screen.

It looks like this on a Mac Desktop from my Notifications page: 



iPhone: 



Android: 


This appears to be from any Android Twitter page, not just your profile page.

I hope this helped. Please tweet me @ risurocket or leave a comment here if you have any questions. Twitter will get you a faster response. Thanks so much, and please respect everyone's efforts for letting me use their photos! Thanks to everyone who participated in this tutorial!

Be Kind, Find Peace, Give Love!
SJW










No comments:

Post a Comment