Sunday, January 26, 2014

Under the Thrall

OK guys, I haven't been reading my share of paranormal books lately. I haven't been reading at all much lately. And I don't usually like doing book blog posts, because I like to hold anything I read very close to me and pretend I am the only reader on earth. (Confessions of a book nerd.)


Then a few books stampeded into my life, grabbed me by the throat and enthralled me. I usually let books come into my life and if I really like an author I will go hunt down the rest. Otherwise, books come to me. I don't usually go out to look for new ones, I just know what when I get there. It's kind of like going to a humane society to adopt a pet, you just know what you will connect.

Anyway, I wrote a reading list for 2014 way back here...and those are the books that have stampeded into my life. I am trying to kind of read them in order. Kind of...but again, sometimes I just have to read what takes me in at the moment. The books are adopting me, you see...

Hell, adoption? The last book I read left me in a book hangover like I haven't had since last year when I read Bound by J. Elizabeth Hill. The rest of *her* books are on my list too. The Mirrors of Bershan trilogy is complete.


These debut authors are both intimidating to me as well as incredibly inspiring. I am not kidding. I could totally curl up in a corner and wonder if I will ever write as well as these writers. I write my own way, but I really want to be able to leave my readers with the kind of book hangover I got from reading their stuff.


I am totally under their thrall. Read their books to understand. Now, I also understand that I can't expect everyone to like what I like, but I highly recommend these authors.

Here's my review of Running Home by Julie Hutchings. I'm going to go curl up and wallow in my book hangover now.

5 Gold Stars!

Way to Get Me Back Into Vampires
A beauty and the beast/rite of passage tale unlike anything you have ever experienced. This book lit a fire in me. Intricately and passionately character driven, the story will wedge its people into your soul. At once inspiring and tragic, you will be left feeling a physical need for more, and you'll be wondering just what Fate might have in store for you.

4 comments:

  1. What an incredible compliment, and what amazing company. Thank you for this, for feeling what I did as deeply as I feel it.

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a way of connecting the reader to the characters that I am trying not to envy and instead just admire. <3 Thank you for lighting the fire.

      Delete
  2. Wow, thank you! It's amazing to know you've touched a reader like this, truly.

    I understand that feeling of wondering if you'll ever write that well. I get it every time I read my favorite authors. You're doing the best thing you can to get there though, at least in my opinion. You're writing your way. And I do believe you'll touch readers with your work. I have faith in you. Have some in yourself. :)

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to follow my heart when it comes to writing. When new authors who are friends like you and Julie, floor me with their talent I get both invigorated and intimidated. I guess that's natural. I am so happy you both have your books out there and I will do my best to share them!

      Delete