Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Blank Pages

I am getting impatient with myself. I could make 1000 excuses for my writer's block. At least 5% of them would be true.

I feel adrift at sea right now, or still, really. The waves of confidence come and go, and I would really like to find a piece of driftwood to hang on to. A boat would be even better.
Before I entered into the mindset of "I should really be doing something with my writing", I was blissfully writing away almost every day with my writing partner. We have tomes of unfinished, co-written stories. We were doing this for almost 10 years! I can't prove it to you, because half the work is my writing partner's and he doesn't want me to show it off. You'll just have to trust me.

So, I decided I wanted to do something with my writing on my own, since my partner had no interest in going further than our stories. That's when I was tossed overboard, and I am getting impatient to find land.
I know what the land looks like. It looks like discipline, hard work, blood, sweat and tears. If I am not willing to endure those things, then my characters aren't going to talk to me.

However, I have other things in my life that are keeping me adrift and also take discipline, hard work, blood, sweat and tears. Those things are in my job description of being a mom. The sharks out there are my children, adorable sharks, but challenging, none-the-less.

I probably won't ever be sure when my ship is going to come in. I'm just going to have to be a strong swimmer and keep going.

More importantly, I have to pace myself, even if I get impatient. My head knows this, and I have good things ahead with a writer's conference and a trip to London (which is downright stressful, right now.) I haven't been swimming in years.

I feel like I am going through Olympic training. Sometimes I wish I was training for Dancing with the Stars instead of training for the triathlon that is being a writer.

Hey, then I could break my ankles and my wrists (carpo tunnel is a bitch). Seriously though, like an athlete, I was born to write, and the hard work will pay off. I just have to keep telling myself that.

I don't get a lot of comments on my blog yet, but if you want to share your story of being adrift at sea, or just take a swim along side me, please feel welcome!




4 comments:

  1. Sharks, indeed...got a couple myself. I can't imagine writing WITH anyone, so that really intrigues me. I think you should join Thursday's Children, we're all "swimming" in more or less the same direction. It's good company, fun, supportive and brings visitors to your blog :) DM or email me if you ?s about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! :) I DMed you about Thursday's Children, as I am also intrigued. I admit I was only able to skim your blog this morning so I will take a better look. Thanks for the invite and recommendation. And your blog is lovely, btw.

      Delete
  2. Great post. It inspires me. I'm telling myself the same things--"I was born to write, and the hard work will pay off. I was born to write." :)

    http://www.miaceleste.com/?p=274

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad I could be of some inspiration. :) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete