Saturday, May 25, 2013

Save a Word Saturday

Since I have a lot of catching up to do, I am going to post 3 words that fascinated me this morning. I plan on using the 3rd one on my eldest daughter today to see what she does. She's going to have to earn the title though, or I will certainly abjure her presence. :D

abjure renounce, turn away from (from The Encyclopedia of Arda) I liked this word because I have never run across it before. I hope to find it now within more of my reading.

bannock flat bread-cake (from The Encyclopedia of Arda) I chose this word even though it's not totally obsolete. I've read it in plenty of fantasy or medieval books. However, I like it, and I'm hungry. ;)


And in the spirit and trend of super heroes, I thought this word was fun:
Wonder-wench: A sweetheart — “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk (From 18 obsolete words, which never should have gone out of style.)


Head on over to The Feather and the Rose, the fine hosts of Save a Word Saturday, for more interesting words to add to your vocabulary.

9 comments:

  1. *laughs at the abjurement of Basement Cat*

    *wonders if "abjurement" is in fact the noun form of "abjure"*

    I'd also wondered, 'til I saw the explanatory picture, whether Wonder-wench was meant in the "aw, you're such a sweetie" sense or the "special lady-friend" sense. I am therefore twice appreciative of your provided illustrations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You're welcome. I realized I had initially posted too quickly and had to rush off to get some illustrations. I am glad I did as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder-Wench is an awesome word! And I like the illustrations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice words, and welcome to the blog hop! Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I see I was supposed to do roses, though...I will try to remember to do tea next week. ;)

      Delete
  5. What fun words you chose! Thanks for enhancing my vocab today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Isn't this hop fun? I have a feeling I am going to see the word abjure all over the place now. ;)

      Delete
  6. LOVE the cat meme you created, bannock sounds good, and wonder-wench...is a winner of a word. Glad to have you joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe...*blush* I wish I could take credit for the cat meme. I unfortunately don't know who made it. Bad of me, I know, but it was so unexpectedly perfect. Thanks for having me!

      Delete